It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:11 pm Advanced search

SMB sharing issues between Kodi and PC

Network questions about connecting, sharing and streaming with your XIOS DS Media Play

SMB sharing issues between Kodi and PC

Postby naveenharibabu » August 6th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Hi. I have tried almost every possible fix for the SMB sharing issues faced by many but yet to find a solution. Some of the things I have tried:
-increasing IRPStackSize in the registry
-changing permissions for every folder that I want to share including every file within the folder
-created a local account on the PC instead of microsoft account and deleting guest account
-modified firewall settings both on the PC and within the antivirus (bitdefender total security 2016) software

I have spent days on this and nothing works although uPNP sharing works like a charm. I would rather SMB as it just looks nicer with all the information about the files, ratings, trailers etc. only happen with SMB. It used to work before but ever since the new version (2016) of bitdefender was installed, everything went astray. I even allowed the IP address associated with the pivos box to go through the firewall but nothing. I should mention that the errors I am getting are "invalid argument" followed by "cannot connect to remote server". Sometimes, I can access the share 'temporarily' but then I try to go back to the previous folder and everything disappears again. Any solutions anyone?
naveenharibabu

Re: SMB sharing issues between Kodi and PC

Postby aasoror » August 6th, 2016, 2:18 pm

naveenharibabu » August 6th, 2016, 4:06 pm wrote: It used to work before but ever since the new version (2016) of bitdefender was installed, everything went astray.

Have you tried taking this to bitdefender guys ? every single "sudden connectivity" issue with SMB and non-windows devices boils down to either a windows update or 3rd party windows software update.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby naveenharibabu » August 6th, 2016, 6:46 pm

I didn't take it to them directly. A couple searches revealed adding the IP address of the pivos box to the exceptions rule under firewall settings should clear whatever it is, so I did that and still didn't resolve the issue. Is there anything I can try on the box itself?
naveenharibabu

Postby aasoror » August 6th, 2016, 8:16 pm

naveenharibabu » August 6th, 2016, 9:46 pm wrote:Is there anything I can try on the box itself?

Nope, there is nothing to configure for SMB access on the box, its all done via the standard protocol. You can work around SMB network querying by manually adding your windows machine IP address as a source (that will also take care of any name to IP translation) but thats about it.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby naveenharibabu » August 13th, 2016, 7:52 am

Can you tell me how to do the manual SMB querying?

PS. I contacted bitdefender support and they gave me instructions on how to bypass the firewall settings to access files on the PC on the xbmc device. I've already tried what they have said but still cannot access them. Same error (Invalid argument, cannot access remote server)

Also, I cannot remember if I mentioned this but very rarely, I can see the files after repeated attempts to get into the folder but they disappear with the same error as soon as I get into another folder, not sure if this helps your diagnosis.
naveenharibabu

Postby aasoror » August 13th, 2016, 12:23 pm

aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby naveenharibabu » August 13th, 2016, 1:26 pm

I have tried that as well but I still get the same (invalid argument) error.
naveenharibabu

Postby aasoror » August 13th, 2016, 5:58 pm

naveenharibabu » August 13th, 2016, 4:26 pm wrote:I have tried that as well but I still get the same (invalid argument) error.

Unfortunately that's it, nothing else can be done box side.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to Networking & Sharing