It is currently November 18th, 2017, 7:57 pm Advanced search

Little Black Box

Whatever doesn't fit into any of the other forums.

Little Black Box

Postby Charbs » May 6th, 2013, 9:31 am

Does anyone have this box?

How does it compare to the Xios?
Charbs
Hardcore

Re: Little Black Box

Postby aasoror » May 6th, 2013, 11:04 am

How long do you see a company promoting a box for the sole usage of one of the most legally concerning XBMC addons ever made is going to last ? ;)

sorry had to remove the product link.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Charbs » May 6th, 2013, 11:16 am

Sorry about that link. You're right. It's the wrong one.

This is the official site for the product that promotes only xbmc.

Hopefully this link won't violate any rules. If so. Sorry again. But seems ok to me.
Charbs
Hardcore

Postby aasoror » May 6th, 2013, 11:35 am

ok had to remove the link to prevent back links, any way, its more than clear from the title what the product is.
Its just another M3 box (4GB NAND), running XBMC-Linux (oh they forgot to acknowledge Pivos for that :lol: )
Same old, Same old .. (nice remote though).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby j1nx » May 8th, 2013, 2:28 am

aasoror » May 6th, 2013, 7:35 pm wrote:ok had to remove the link to prevent back links, any way, its more than clear from the title what the product is.
Its just another M3 box (4GB NAND), running XBMC-Linux (oh they forgot to acknowledge Pivos for that :lol: )
Same old, Same old .. (nice remote though).

About getting old :D ;)
Do we still thank Edison for the lightbulb :P

Amlogic: Thanks to Pivos -> who thanks XBMC -> who thanks Frodo -> who thanks ....

Don't get me wrong, but by releasing the source code (opensource) THAT IS the acknowledgement. That being said, Pivos will benefit from it as it basically means another source of development, bug hunts etc. and of course I really appreciate Pivos stepping onto the ice in relation with opensource in commercial projects.

That is the power of opensource. 8-)

As I am involved in that particular project I really do feel this could be the prove that opensource in commercial aspects DOES work, by beneficial co-existance. (but the future will tell ....)
j1nx

Postby toys4me » May 8th, 2013, 8:16 am

j1nx » May 8th, 2013, 1:28 am wrote:About getting old :D ;)
Do we still thank Edison for the lightbulb :P

Amlogic: Thanks to Pivos -> who thanks XBMC -> who thanks Frodo -> who thanks ....

Don't get me wrong, but by releasing the source code (opensource) THAT IS the acknowledgement. That being said, Pivos will benefit from it as it basically means another source of development, bug hunts etc. and of course I really appreciate Pivos stepping onto the ice in relation with opensource in commercial projects.

That is the power of opensource. 8-)

As I am involved in that particular project I really do feel this could be the prove that opensource in commercial aspects DOES work, by beneficial co-existance. (but the future will tell ....)

The future of commercial opensource depends on commercial entities adopting a model where if they profit from someones work, that they acknowledge it, and contribute back to it. And that the source project benefits from the existance of the commercial entity. So far I see Pivos following that model in spades. I have yet to see any of the other xbmc "box" manufacturers comming close to following that model. The little black box might be different but only time will tell. So far all I have seen from the other clone boxes is the companies adopting the leach model where they take from others work and contribute nothing to improve the core project that they freely profit from.
Disclamer:
My opinions, stupid ideas and rants are my own. Am not a Pivos employee. Am just a programmer who likes their product and tries to help when I can.
toys4me
Hardcore

Postby Charbs » May 8th, 2013, 8:22 am

I just really like the remote. Wish pivos offered a similar rf qwerty. That's the one main selling point for me with the little black box.
Charbs
Hardcore

Postby j1nx » May 9th, 2013, 12:50 am

toys4me » May 8th, 2013, 4:16 pm wrote:The future of commercial opensource depends on commercial entities adopting a model where if they profit from someones work, that they acknowledge it, and contribute back to it. And that the source project benefits from the existance of the commercial entity. So far I see Pivos following that model in spades. I have yet to see any of the other xbmc "box" manufacturers comming close to following that model. The little black box might be different but only time will tell. So far all I have seen from the other clone boxes is the companies adopting the leach model where they take from others work and contribute nothing to improve the core project that they freely profit from.

To not get misunderstood. ^^^ That is what I meant ;)

TLBB is at the beginning and not yet to show the money. It is a commercial product derived from the community builds. That community already had provided some small patches to the pivos sources. This will offcourse continue and grow.

So in short; I hope in about 6 months from now, we can pull a finger to the big players in the world saying; You see, opensource works.

(yes that means you also have those others...taking, taking, taking...)
j1nx

Return to Off Topic