It is currently July 23rd, 2017, 1:40 am Advanced search

Hub craps on the xios

Whatever doesn't fit into any of the other forums.

Hub craps on the xios

Postby zapper222 » February 19th, 2014, 7:46 am

I am constantly amazed at the bias of that site, and the misinformation that some of the mods spread.
If I was in the market for a new device and I read this, it would certainly deter me from buying a XIOS.
zapper222
TOFUer

Re: Hub craps on the xios

Postby aasoror » February 19th, 2014, 8:12 am

Don't bother.
They know they are banned here ;) and Pivos doesn't provide support to anyone who installed the wizard, and Pivos publicly recommends against installing their addon. Why should you expect otherwise ?!

edit: sorry had to remove the back link.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby NullNix » February 19th, 2014, 1:35 pm

aasoror » February 19th, 2014, 3:12 pm wrote:Don't bother.
They know they are banned here ;) and Pivos doesn't provide support to anyone who installed the wizard, and Pivos publicly recommends against installing their addon. Why should you expect otherwise ?!

I can understand why. I just had a look at it. Holy crap that is some of the worst Python I have *ever* seen. Clearly written by people with no understanding of maintainable code, Python idioms, good style, basic error checking, or simple readability. I suspect its interactions with XBMC (which I cannot yet judge) are every bit as horrendous as the Python side.

I was able to spot half a dozen serious and bleeding obvious bugs in the tiny amount of code in the downloader in about ten seconds. I suspect its bug density to be in excess of one bug per line.

AVOID AVOID if this thing doesn't melt your face off and burn your house down the first time you run it, it is sheer good luck.

(Here's hoping that shuddering at the XBMC hub wizard's awfulness isn't also banned. I need to wash my brain out after looking at that.)
NullNix
Dedicated

Postby zapper222 » February 19th, 2014, 4:59 pm

NullNix » February 19th, 2014, 4:35 pm wrote:
I can understand why. I just had a look at it. Holy crap that is some of the worst Python I have *ever* seen. Clearly written by people with no understanding of maintainable code, Python idioms, good style, basic error checking, or simple readability. I suspect its interactions with XBMC (which I cannot yet judge) are every bit as horrendous as the Python side.

I was able to spot half a dozen serious and bleeding obvious bugs in the tiny amount of code in the downloader in about ten seconds. I suspect its bug density to be in excess of one bug per line.

AVOID AVOID if this thing doesn't melt your face off and burn your house down the first time you run it, it is sheer good luck.

(Here's hoping that shuddering at the XBMC hub wizard's awfulness isn't also banned. I need to wash my brain out after looking at that.)

Wheres the source code located at ?
zapper222
TOFUer

Postby aasoror » February 19th, 2014, 5:19 pm

zapper222 » February 19th, 2014, 6:59 pm wrote:
Wheres the source code located at ?

Python is a scripting language, the source is actually the addon itself ;)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Esso1001 » February 19th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Not sure whats the fuss about but i love my pivos..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Esso1001
Dedicated

Postby zapper222 » February 20th, 2014, 8:28 am

aasoror » February 19th, 2014, 8:19 pm wrote:
Python is a scripting language, the source is actually the addon itself ;)

Yeah, thats all over my head.
Tell me though, is Xios still the official device for Android Development?
zapper222
TOFUer

Postby aasoror » February 20th, 2014, 8:55 am

zapper222 » February 20th, 2014, 10:28 am wrote:
Yeah, thats all over my head.
Tell me though, is Xios still the official device for Android Development?

As per the XBMC wiki "The Pivos XIOS (full name Pivos XIOS DS Media Play, or Sir Honorable Dr. Pivos XIOS DS Media Play the 5th of Wales) is an ARM set-top-box that can run XBMC on either Android or Linux. The Pivos XIOS is the original development target for the XBMC for Android port."

Nothing is ever going to change about that ;), same goes for the fact that Pivos made sure every XBMC developer had a XIOS box (and many other involved non-developers as well). Beside that, there is nothing "officially" committing on what XBMC developers were/are using for Android development. Yet, as of now, no one else can claim a better or even a matching relevance to XBMC Android.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to Off Topic