It is currently December 17th, 2017, 8:51 am Advanced search

Answered: How to install KODI 17.0 Krypton on XS?

General questions, FAQs about XIOS XS Media Play

Answered: How to install KODI 17.0 Krypton on XS?

Postby dogstar » September 16th, 2016, 2:15 pm

Hi,

Can someone please provide some guidance on how I can install KODI 17.0 Krypton on my XS? I don't care if I need to run Android or Linux in order to get it.

thanks
dogstar
dogstar

Re: How to install KODI 17.0 Krypton on XS?

Postby aasoror » September 16th, 2016, 6:59 pm

You can't.
Kodi 17.0 is not compatible with Android JB (TOFUOS) and there is no equivalent Linux port for it (TOFULinux).
Kodi 16.1 Final is as good as it gets for the XIOS XS (both TOFUOS and TOFULinux).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: Answered: How to install KODI 17.0 Krypton on XS?

Postby aaronsapple » May 26th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Hi there,
I want to start off by saying thanks. Shortly after the ATV2 was no longer being supported with newer kodi builds, we purchased a Xios DS. Happy with the tofulinux build, we purchased an XS and are still very happy. The support we find on this forum for updating and more recently with the tofulinux tool has really made maintenance a non-issue. So thanks again.
Recently I've been reading quite a bit about security issues with older versions of kodi and recommendations (from credible sources) to upgrade to the latest version of krypton 17.3 to protect devices from hacking.
1. As a tofulinux (16.1 version of kodi) user, should i be worried about these security risks?
2. Is there a plan to develop a kodi 17.3 build of tofulinux available via the tofulinux tool?
Thanks again.
aaronsapple

Postby TooTall56 » June 3rd, 2017, 6:57 pm

I suppose then since one is not able to upgrade to Kodi Krypton 17 with is updated security features, Xios XS media players are pretty much redundant unless one wants to take chances with any attacks. I run Jarvis on mine however now have to look at purchasing another make of media player in order to run the most recent version of Kodi. I guess it was good while it lasted though. Is there another use for them?
TooTall56

Postby aasoror » June 5th, 2017, 7:43 am

aaronsapple » May 26th, 2017, 8:14 pm wrote:Hi there,
I want to start off by saying thanks. Shortly after the ATV2 was no longer being supported with newer kodi builds, we purchased a Xios DS. Happy with the tofulinux build, we purchased an XS and are still very happy. The support we find on this forum for updating and more recently with the tofulinux tool has really made maintenance a non-issue. So thanks again.
Recently I've been reading quite a bit about security issues with older versions of kodi and recommendations (from credible sources) to upgrade to the latest version of krypton 17.3 to protect devices from hacking.
1. As a tofulinux (16.1 version of kodi) user, should i be worried about these security risks?

The security vulnerability in question is the one detailed here, in short its the ability of a (subtitles) zip to arbitrarily traverse the device file system.
How practical the threat of a "device agnostic" attack using this vulnerability is on the XIOS is a little debatable, as "most" system files will get defaulted at each reboot, with that said, the fix released for krypton was backported into TOFULinux (build 060417), be sure to use the TOFULinux maintenance tool to fetch the update.
2. Is there a plan to develop a kodi 17.3 build of tofulinux available via the tofulinux tool?

nope.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby aasoror » June 5th, 2017, 7:53 am

TooTall56 » June 3rd, 2017, 8:57 pm wrote:I suppose then since one is not able to upgrade to Kodi Krypton 17 with is updated security features, Xios XS media players are pretty much redundant unless one wants to take chances with any attacks.

The Krypton fix was backported into TOFULinux 060417 build, use the TOFULinux maintenance tool to fetch it.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby TooTall56 » June 6th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Thanks for the info aasoror, I will certainly check out the TOFULinux 060417 build and see where we are at. I certainly have enjoyed using the system, works good for me once I learned how to navigate.
TooTall56

Postby TooTall56 » June 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I installed the TOFU Linux Maintenance Tool and when I attempt to load the TOFU Linux 060417 I receive a script error. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue?
TooTall56

Postby aasoror » June 25th, 2017, 12:48 am

TooTall56 » June 24th, 2017, 6:36 pm wrote:I installed the TOFU Linux Maintenance Tool and when I attempt to load the TOFU Linux 060417 I receive a script error. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue?

Which script error ? did the file fail md5 check ? or didn't it even start downloading ?
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby TooTall56 » September 17th, 2017, 10:41 am

Hello aasoror, Sorry I am responding so late on this topic. Summer came and I don't watch a lot of television and never got back to this until now. In answer to your question, It really doesn't even start downloading. I click on the OK to start the download, it shows the download screen and and immediately get the script error notice in lower right of screen; Script failed TOFU Linux Tool. My operating system indicates I am running Linux 3.0.50. Could this be the issue and if so how do I get it to run TOFU Linux?
TooTall56

Next

Return to General Questions