It is currently August 17th, 2017, 2:46 am Advanced search

No more ethernet after software upgrade?

Network questions about connecting, sharing and streaming with your XIOS XS Media Play

No more ethernet after software upgrade?

Postby pda » June 25th, 2016, 2:56 pm

My device had been working more-or-less OK for over a year until getting very temperamental a few weeks ago when it began spontaneously rebooting itself. I decided to upgrade to later software, but now I only have the option to network wirelessly! Or am I missing something, all I saw is the new Network Manager?

Perhaps it's flaky hardware though? I just tried a different ethernet cable and went into an infinite reboot loop; any suggestions for debugging? However since I'm not air-conditioned I might need to wait as few months for cooler weather to try again. Or might there be some way to slow down the CPU to make the box run less hot?
pda
Dedicated

Re: No more ethernet after software upgrade?

Postby aasoror » June 26th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Is that TOFULinux you flashed ?
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby pda » July 4th, 2016, 7:29 am

Yes, that's right... there may be something to my speculation about temperature problems. The device suddenly started working the other day when it was unusually cool for July, and that's the first time in a month or two. Are there any diagnostics that can show the general state of things?
pda
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » July 4th, 2016, 10:47 pm

pda » July 4th, 2016, 10:29 am wrote:Yes, that's right... there may be something to my speculation about temperature problems. The device suddenly started working the other day when it was unusually cool for July, and that's the first time in a month or two. Are there any diagnostics that can show the general state of things?

Easiest way to tell is to run the board naked and see if you still get the crashes.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby pda » October 21st, 2016, 9:31 pm

aasoror » July 5th, 2016, 12:47 am wrote:Easiest way to tell is to run the board naked and see if you still get the crashes.

I ignored this for a few months, but am back to beating on it now. I guess the subject isn't very applicable at this point either, things are much worse than just that.

Anyway, I've upgraded again to the latest TOFU, am using wireless because that used to work better, and have taken the case off the box. Results are no better, the box barely works at all, and not for long when it does.

Are there any diagnostics I can run to narrow the trouble down to hardware or software?
pda
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » October 22nd, 2016, 3:18 pm

pda » October 22nd, 2016, 12:31 am wrote:
Are there any diagnostics I can run to narrow the trouble down to hardware or software?

Well, if a clean firmware flash (without an mSD card, with a post reflash factory reset) doesn't restore performance then its a hardware issue.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby pda » February 22nd, 2017, 11:35 am

I did do the factory reset, and had all the same problems. However after plugging into wired ethernet, the box seems to work well enough. My conclusion now is that my wireless signal is likely too weak where I have it located, but is that an excuse for the device stalling and rebooting itself so frequently?

Seems like I've gone around in a circles on this and the OS is flaky. By comparison, I have an older XIOS-DS that has been practically rock-solid. I'm not entirely clear from your site, but it looks like the XS can run the same OS as the newer iteration of the DS, is that correct? I would prefer to upgrade to Linux-only, without the Android cruft I'd rather avoid.
pda
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » February 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

pda » February 22nd, 2017, 1:35 pm wrote:I would prefer to upgrade to Linux-only, without the Android cruft I'd rather avoid.

You mention you upgraded to latest TOFU, you mean TOFULinux ? if so then this is the Linux-only build.
True, flaky wifi reception isn't an excuse for boot loops and lags and stalling, that might be either software corruption or actual corruption in the XS internal memory.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby pda » February 23rd, 2017, 4:47 pm

The last thing I did on my XS was the factory reset, but as I said that only improve things after going back to ethernet. I think I've only seen one spontaneous reboot after that.

TOFULinux does work very nicely on my older DS -- does the exact same build run on the XS hardware?
pda
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » February 23rd, 2017, 7:13 pm

pda » February 23rd, 2017, 6:47 pm wrote:TOFULinux does work very nicely on my older DS -- does the exact same build run on the XS hardware?

Yup, except for the hardware specific code (kernel), everything else is compiled from the very same source code.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to Networking & Sharing