It is currently September 24th, 2017, 10:25 am Advanced search

Answered: Question re: buying a PIVOS XIOS DS on Ebay

Questions, Comments and Feedback

Answered: Question re: buying a PIVOS XIOS DS on Ebay

Postby Dessertchic » March 17th, 2014, 10:22 am

Hi,

I recently won a bid for a used pivos xios on ebay. Paid immediately and 2 days later I got a cancellation request with this being the reason:
"When I tried to restore the unit, I accidentally deleted the software. Please let me know if you still
want it. If not, I will give you a full refund. Please let me know. I apologize again. Thanks"

Does anyone know how easy it is to add the "software" back on? I'm not sure if I should let him cancel this transaction or not.

and I'm noticing a trend of him cancelling auctions possibly to relist (via reading his feedback).

Thoughts and suggestions welcome! :)
Dessertchic

Re: Question re: buying a PIVOS XIOS DS on Ebay

Postby aasoror » March 17th, 2014, 10:33 am

looking at his feedback I would just get a refund "first" then leave him a negative feedback and call it a day (though I think ebay no longer allows people to leave feedback for refunded transactions).
Chances are he is bluffing and doesn't want to let the box go at the auction price.
As for his claims, unless you "bricked" the box you can always add the "software" back on it.
But I wont push my luck because the listing says "no returns" and by confirming you don't mind receiving a box that "has no software on it" you are technically saying "I don't mind buying a brick".
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Dessertchic » March 17th, 2014, 4:07 pm

aasoror: You have a great point. My other concern was receiving it and not having everything in the box. Of course, I'm not allowing the cancellation of the transaction until I receive my paypal funds back into my account.

That being said: Any suggestions for where to look for a "replacement" to this one? There are a ton on ebay and I've seen some on new egg, but there is a huge range in prices.
Dessertchic

Postby aasoror » March 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Dessertchic » March 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm wrote:aasoror: You have a great point. My other concern was receiving it and not having everything in the box. Of course, I'm not allowing the cancellation of the transaction until I receive my paypal funds back into my account.

That being said: Any suggestions for where to look for a "replacement" to this one? There are a ton on ebay and I've seen some on new egg, but there is a huge range in prices.

Well if its "used" you have in mind then ebay is the way to go. Remember that newegg/amazon prices are for BNIB units that comes with return privileges and 12 months of warranty + 12 months extended warranty (for most major credit card issuers).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Dessertchic » March 19th, 2014, 7:32 am

If I go the BNIB route, how easy is it to load all the software/apps on it? Most of the "used" ones on ebay tend to have the apps on it already (I assume, for those that don't want/know how to load the apps).

I don't mind doing the work if it saves me money. As long as it's not in the difficulty level of computer programmer (which I am not). :)

Thanks for your help aasoror!
I am waiting for my refund from the shifty seller to complete via paypal (pending through tomorrow) and then I can cancel that transaction and go from there.
Dessertchic

Postby aasoror » March 19th, 2014, 10:23 am

Here is the thing for presetting the box (for nominal fees).

First its far from a set and forget process, at one time or the other you will come complaining why is the box is so sluggish, or things that used to work no longer works, and the first recommendation would typically be "clean up the box and start from scratch and see if your issue persist", so if you are going to do it from scratch any way why then but not now ?

Second, the so called setup is just about installing some addons (many of which are meant to provide unauthorized access to copy protected contents and are banned on the support forums here and on the official xbmc forums), but legality aside, all these addons are available online free of charge, tons of setup videos and how tos on youtube and elsewhere, tons of forums that are dedicated to install/setup/update these addons, there is even addons that would install other addons and maintain them automatically for users.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Dessertchic » March 20th, 2014, 10:37 am

Awesome. I get your point, I might as well start from scratch and put only what I want on there. I will do just that, then.

Thanks for your help! :)
Dessertchic

Postby aasoror » March 20th, 2014, 11:05 am

np :)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to General Comments and Questions