It is currently June 24th, 2017, 8:37 pm Advanced search

Pivos xios ds or xios xs?

Questions, Comments and Feedback

Pivos xios ds or xios xs?

Postby XBMCrules » September 19th, 2015, 6:25 pm

So I have had a Pivos ds m3 for a few years (really worked well for me streaming movies and tv through smb from main computer. I did not use wireless but it was hard wired through powerline adapter). But it bit the dust along with some other electronic devices because of a power surge from close lightning strike. Been using a first model B raspberry pi since then and it's just to slow compared to the Pivos I had. Really wanting to replace the Pivos, but am unsure which model to get. Looks like they are about the same price. I will be running the Linux Tofu on it. I know the xs is newer but is it better at running Tofu? It will be in the spare bedroom hooked directly to tv. (no receiver). Would appreciate any input
Last edited by XBMCrules on September 19th, 2015, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XBMCrules
Curious

Re: Pivos xios ds or xios xs?

Postby aasoror » September 19th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Compared to TOFULinux running on M3, aside from the ability to do instant resumes (which the TOFULinux XS is incapable of) everything is at least twice as fast on the XS (you also get native 1080p playback, 24p output, newer kernel and compatibility with the Pivos VUE lightpack).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby XBMCrules » September 19th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Thanks for the quick reply aasoror. I guess it's the xs then. So do I just leave it running then? I always did that with the ds anyways
XBMCrules
Curious

Postby aasoror » September 19th, 2015, 6:46 pm

XBMCrules » September 19th, 2015, 9:34 pm wrote:Thanks for the quick reply aasoror. I guess it's the xs then. So do I just leave it running then? I always did that with the ds anyways

Yeah I have units that have been on for the last year without an issue . You can still send the unit to standby if you want but it will do a full reboot on resume.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to General Comments and Questions