It is currently October 15th, 2018, 7:21 pm Advanced search

Answered: HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

General questions, FAQs about AIOS HD Media Center

Answered: HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

Postby rbur » September 8th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Does the AIOS support HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) ?? .... if so, how do I make it work.
rbur

Re: HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

Postby aasoror » September 8th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Yes it does, but its not implemented in the official firmwares (something related to a Realtek decision not to offer the feature on any of their hardware).

That said, its not that hard to do it manually.

1. Fetch this file
2. Extract and move to the AIOS
3. Edit cecd.conf according to your device and copy it to /etc (or use -c option)
To run telnet to the box, go to the location where your extracted cec
Code: Select all
insmod cec-dev.ko
insmod venus_ir_wo.ko
./cecd

Source
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: Answered: HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)

Postby jsmiddleton4 » September 9th, 2012, 7:54 am

Where on the AIOS are we moving it to?

Is there an added option in the setup menu to turn it off or on? I guess I'm asking is how does it work. Totally a slave so a monitor connected to the AIOS via hdmi, the monitor's cec controls control the AIOS? Turn on monitor than the AIOS turns on but if you turn on the AIOS the monitor does not turn on?
jsmiddleton4
Hardcore

Postby rbur » September 9th, 2012, 8:38 am

Thanks aasoror ... I will try this. I'm just wanting it to control my father-in-laws tv so that it switches to the hdmi input when he turns on the Aios. His $29 Phillips dvd player does it so nicely and he misses it when he uses the Aios.
rbur

Postby aasoror » September 9th, 2012, 12:18 pm

jsmiddleton4 » September 9th, 2012, 10:54 am wrote:Where on the AIOS are we moving it to?

Wherever, but /usr/local/etc should work.
Is there an added option in the setup menu to turn it off or on? I guess I'm asking is how does it work. Totally a slave so a monitor connected to the AIOS via hdmi, the monitor's cec controls control the AIOS? Turn on monitor than the AIOS turns on but if you turn on the AIOS the monitor does not turn on?

optimally it should be two way control, but looking at the configuration file it seems that its a slave one (though I didn't look that much into it)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby jsmiddleton4 » September 9th, 2012, 3:22 pm

tv so that it switches to the hdmi input when he turns on the Aios.

If I understand the whole HDMI CEC thing than in this scenario the TV has to already be on I think.

Some HDMI stuff you turn on one device and it will turn on other devices. Can be a real PIA too. To just switch to the input if the TV is on and the AIOS is sending out HDMI CEC information the TV should change to the AIOS input. At least I think so.

I use a Logitech Harmony One remote and it takes care of inputs etc. HDMI CEC can be flakey.
jsmiddleton4
Hardcore

Postby efros » September 9th, 2012, 4:22 pm

There was a rudimentary version of this in the old SCART cables, if the video came on to record something then a pin on the SCART switched high, (or higher depending on the video format 4:3 or 16:9), and the TV switched to the SCART input, as you said areal PITA, pretty much disabled on everything I owned when I lived in the UK.
efros
Hardcore

Postby jraymond4321 » December 7th, 2015, 8:31 am

Hi Aassoror.

I followed your directions from the post above and copied all of the contents of the CECD file to the AIOS. I edited the CECD.CONF file to say AIOS instead of Xtreamer Pro. Are there any other edits that need to be made?

I could not copy to the /etc directory, but I copied to the /usr/local/etc directory. Is that correct?

I copied the CECD directory to /tmp/cecd on the AIOS, and then teleneted in and tried to run the 2 INSMOD commands.

When I run the cec-dev.ko I get a file exists message.
/tmp/cecd # insmod cec-dev.ko
insmod: cannot insert `cec-dev.ko': File exists (-1): File exists

And when I run the venus_ir_wo.ko, I get
/tmp/cecd # insmod venus_ir_wo.ko
insmod: cannot insert `venus_ir_wo.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory

Any help is appreciated.
jraymond4321

Postby aasoror » December 16th, 2015, 7:11 pm

jraymond4321 » December 7th, 2015, 10:31 am wrote:Hi Aassoror.

I followed your directions from the post above and copied all of the contents of the CECD file to the AIOS.

Unfortunately I don't have an AIOS accessible to replicate (been 3 good years already), but if you can't place the configuration file under /etc/ then use the -c option to point to the location where you actually placed the file.

skip the insmods and just do
Code: Select all
./cecd -c  /usr/local/etc/cecd.conf

Best of luck
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby jraymond4321 » December 17th, 2015, 6:02 am

Thanks! I'll give that a try...
jraymond4321

Return to General Questions