It is currently October 15th, 2018, 7:23 pm Advanced search

Resolved: Dead Remote - alternatives?

General questions, FAQs about AIOS HD Media Center

Resolved: Dead Remote - alternatives?

Postby Mick8 » August 3rd, 2015, 3:21 am

Hey All

I have had the aios for three years and today my remote is not working. I changed the batteries and no go. I also do not see any flashing of the light when I tap the remote batteries. Not sure if I can order a replacement remote so I was wondering if there were alternatives or universal remotes that work? Could this be an issue on the box itself though the remote is not showing any lights when I tap the buttons? Also, I tried both a mouse and a generic Microsoft keyboard in the usb port and they were not recognized.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

M
Mick8
Dedicated

Re: Dead Remote - alternatives?

Postby aasoror » August 3rd, 2015, 9:34 am

If you can't see the IR light from the remote then the remote is certainly dead (try double checking if the batteries are indeed making contact, might want to use a small nose pliers or something to extended the contacts if they are not touching properly).

The AIOS remote is available on the logitech harmony database, so any Logitech remote should work as a replacement.

Moreover here is the hex codes for the keys (original layout) if you have a directly programmable remote (and the new/old remotes too case you don't have a v1 remote).

USB mouse wont work outside the web browser, but a USB keyboard not working is not a good sign (keyboard must be driverless and supports HID profile), that said easiest way to double check USB ports is to use to use a USB key with activity LED and see if it lights up (so USB port supplies enough power).

Best of luck.
Attachments
51ErwG0U9vL._SL1600_.jpg
51ErwG0U9vL._SL1600_.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
aiosrc.jpg
aiosrc.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » August 3rd, 2015, 3:06 pm

Thanks - I tried working batteries and also pulled out the leads from within the remote and still no go and no light so I assume the remote is dead. I just hope it is not the IR receiver on the box too.

So my remote is the bigger one on the right side of your picture (V1).

questions:

Will getting the smaller remote work on my box?

Would this remote work http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-Remo ... 1c336b2251 ?

Or would this one work as well http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/log ... b12f9cen02 ?

If not, where is the best place in Canada to get a replacement remote V1 or V2? Keep in mind I do not want to spend too much money as I am waiting to buy your mid range box? (btw eta on that?)

Thanks,

Michael.
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » August 3rd, 2015, 4:05 pm

Mick8 » August 3rd, 2015, 6:06 pm wrote:So my remote is the bigger one on the right side of your picture (V1).
questions:

Will getting the smaller remote work on my box?

Yup, V1 and V2 uses the very same codes just a different layout (and the buttons on V1 that was not utilized by the AIOS software were dropped on V2).

Well the listing claims it should.

This is sure to work (being a harmony remote), though I wouldn't buy the 350 at the MSRP of $50 ;)

If not, where is the best place in Canada to get a replacement remote V1 or V2? Keep in mind I do not want to spend too much money

Do you have the latest semiofficial firmware installed ? if so why not use the web remote ? just type "http://AIOS_IP/webremote/remote_h.php" from any web browser (on your PC, tablet or phone) and you get

as I am waiting to buy your mid range box? (btw eta on that?)

Last ETA was already missed, so no point in giving new ones :( , hardware is done, packaging is done, software is still being worked on.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » August 4th, 2015, 2:49 pm

So I came home after work and was ready to head to best buy for the harmony remote but I thought I would try once more. I turned on the box and played with the buttons and it was responding to four out of five clicks. So I went back in and cleaned the leads again and pulled them out some more. And it is working. I guess I was too ginger before trying not to break the leads.

Thanks. Just saved myself 50 dollars on a new remote. Now where is the new mid box so I can get one.

Oh and what is the release for the latest semi-official and does it need any prerequisite updates?

LOL JUST CHECKED AND I DO HAVE THE WEBREMOTE - SWEET VERY RESPONSIVE ON MY ANDROID TABLET.

I STARTED THIS POST WITH NO REMOTE AND NOW I APPARENTLY HAVE TWO.

Thanks,

Mick
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » August 4th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Mick8 » August 4th, 2015, 5:49 pm wrote:I STARTED THIS POST WITH NO REMOTE AND NOW I APPARENTLY HAVE TWO.

Great, thanks for the updates Mick.
Enjoy your AIOS :)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Re: Resolved: Dead Remote - alternatives?

Postby Mick8 » August 11th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Just an addendum here - a few days later my comp crashed so Best Buy got some money out of me anyway as I had to buy a new one.

Thanks, the remote is still working - KoW

Mick.
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby pivosTEC » January 13th, 2016, 11:32 am

Extending the contacts on the remote did not revive it. On to suggestion 2, webremote. How do I install the firmware update that allows me to use my Android tablet without a working remote?
pivosTEC

Postby aasoror » January 13th, 2016, 12:10 pm

pivosTEC » January 13th, 2016, 1:32 pm wrote:Extending the contacts on the remote did not revive it. On to suggestion 2, webremote. How do I install the firmware update that allows me to use my Android tablet without a working remote?

You don't need a remote to install firmware, use panic recovery.
The procedure as well as the latest semiofficial firmware can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434

Best of luck,
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby pivosTEC » January 13th, 2016, 2:01 pm

aasoror » January 13th, 2016, 12:10 pm wrote:
You don't need a remote to install firmware, use panic recovery.
The procedure as well as the latest semiofficial firmware can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434

Best of luck,

Thank you for the reply. I guess what I should have asked is which version to download/install? Without accessing an information screen (presumably requiring a remote) how do I know?
pivosTEC

Next

Return to General Questions