It is currently October 15th, 2018, 6:09 pm Advanced search

External Hdd shutting off

General questions, FAQs about AIOS HD Media Center

External Hdd shutting off

Postby sciascia88 » January 26th, 2016, 11:31 am

Hey guys,

I have been using my aios sort of as an nas and watching my media on a Roku. Problem is, an external hdd I have plugged in to the back USB port keeps becoming inaccessible. I have to unplug and plug it back in for it to be accessible again. I'd this an issue with the hdd enclosure? Or something with the aios?

Edit: the hard drive is a seagate goflex external.
sciascia88

Re: External Hdd shutting off

Postby aasoror » January 26th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Too many variables, why not take the HDD out of your enclosure and install it internally in the AIOS ?
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby sciascia88 » January 26th, 2016, 7:51 pm

I have an hdd already inside, this is my second one. I was reading that the USB 3.0 external hdds were having this issue. I've plugged it into the side port (that's the 3.0 port, right?) And so far so good.
sciascia88

Postby aasoror » January 26th, 2016, 8:24 pm

sciascia88 » January 26th, 2016, 9:51 pm wrote:I have an hdd already inside, this is my second one. I was reading that the USB 3.0 external hdds were having this issue. I've plugged it into the side port (that's the 3.0 port, right?) And so far so good.

The USB 3.0 port on the AIOS is the upstream blue port, all the peripheral USB ports on the AIOS are USB 2.0. But regardless, as long as its working ;)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby sciascia88 » March 6th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Welp, the issue has come back... actually, plugging the external HDD into the side usb port only worked for a week or so, now not only does my external drive randomly disappear, but my internal drive has started to do it as well. I hooked both up to my pc and ran diagnostics on them and they both appear to be fine, so who knows.

If this is the death rattle of my AIOS, then so be it. I really enjoyed the product and got some good usage out of it, but now I only use it as a network storage for plex/Roku (See: my post in the firmware topic) so it won't be such a big deal.
sciascia88

Postby aasoror » March 7th, 2016, 8:44 am

Well only thing I can think about related to storage is the "redetect HDD" option in the latest Semi-official firmware. Give it a go and see if that makes a difference.
Also consider using a wired externally powered USB hub between the AIOS and your USB drive (might be the AIOS USB port is no longer providing adequate power to sustain internal/external drives).
Best of luck,
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby sciascia88 » March 7th, 2016, 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it out. :)
sciascia88

Return to General Questions