It is currently October 15th, 2018, 6:05 pm Advanced search

Resolved: Missing over 300 GBs of space on HDD

General questions, FAQs about AIOS HD Media Center

Resolved: Missing over 300 GBs of space on HDD

Postby Mick8 » June 6th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Hey Folks,

So I have my pivos aios set up as a mapped drive to my win 8.1 PC. I was doing some housecleaning and noticed that the amount of free space did not seem right. So I went to each of the Eight main folders on my pivos and did a properties check. When done it totaled 521.22GBs for all eight folders with no files on the root. I have a 1 TB drive in the Pivos aios and accounting for that being about 976 actual GBs I should have about 455 GBs free; however, my computer shows 104 GBs free which means I am missing approx 351GBs of space. I have had this aios for three to five years. Now as this is a mapped drive I cannot defragment it like an actual connected drive. And, yes I have windows set up to show hidden files but that should not matter anyway as I do not hide them as they are media files.

So, my questions are:

1) Is this aios not deleting files properly?
2) Anyone know any tricks for defragmenting this drive?
3) Should I even have to do this as no programs run on the drive but for the last five years or so I have copied files from my computer and after watching the media, deleted them frequently through the aios interface with the remote, leaving only a small percentage on the actual drive.
4) Any one know why I am missing so much space?
5) Am I asking the wrong question(s)?

Thanks,

Mick.
Mick8
Dedicated

Re: Missing over 300 GBs of space on HDD

Postby aasoror » June 6th, 2016, 10:19 pm

1) You can connect to the AIOS over the network using filezilla from your windows machine and traverse the HDD and see if there is something there that shouldn't be (its under /tmp/usbmounts/sdaX).
2) If the HDD was NTFS formatted then you can connect the whole AIOS as a USB enclosure to your windows PC and defrag it, if its ext formatted then defrag is not needed.
3) Usually defrag is not needed when you just have "huge" media files.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » June 7th, 2016, 4:17 am

I went through it through filezilla and there does not seem to be anything there that shouldn't be. It seems to be my list of files though I do have a number of sub(sub)folders and a number of items in each of those. Is there anything in particular for which I should be looking?

Gonna go find myself a usb cable to try the defrag.

Thanks.

Mick
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » June 7th, 2016, 6:32 am

Mick8 » June 7th, 2016, 7:17 am wrote: It seems to be my list of files though I do have a number of sub(sub)folders and a number of items in each of those. Is there anything in particular for which I should be looking?

well its your HDD, so you should be able to recognize every single file file/folder there (just note that your HDD is at /tmp/usbmounts/sdaX so files outside that folder is not on your HDD but rather the AIOS internal storage)
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » June 7th, 2016, 2:57 pm

It seems this does not work when using the usb 2.0 ports - it did not show up on my pc as another ext hdd would. I suspect I have to use the 3.0 port but what type of connection/connector is that as my usb 3.0 cable does not fit it?

Thanks,

Mick.
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » June 7th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Mick8 » June 7th, 2016, 5:57 pm wrote:It seems this does not work when using the usb 2.0 ports - it did not show up on my pc as another ext hdd would. I suspect I have to use the 3.0 port but what type of connection/connector is that as my usb 3.0 cable does not fit it?

Thanks,

Mick.

the USB ports on the AIOS are master ports (for external peripherals), you need to use the blue USB 3.0 data port on the back of the AIOS.

The cable the came with the AIOS is a standard a-b USB 3.0 cable that is the one you need.

aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » June 8th, 2016, 7:27 am

Yeah I cannot find my box with the cable so ordered one on ebay: I think this is the one, yes?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390840193659?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Mick.
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » June 8th, 2016, 8:02 am

Mick8 » June 8th, 2016, 10:27 am wrote:Yeah I cannot find my box with the cable so ordered one on ebay: I think this is the one, yes?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/390840193659?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Mick.

Yup, that should do it.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby Mick8 » June 8th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Thanks - will update ya after I get the cable and see if the defrag worked.

In the meantime can you at least tell us if a new box is coming from Pivos?

Mick.
Mick8
Dedicated

Postby aasoror » June 8th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Mick8 » June 8th, 2016, 3:32 pm wrote:Thanks - will update ya after I get the cable and see if the defrag worked.

In the meantime can you at least tell us if a new box is coming from Pivos?

Mick.

There is, its just that I don't have any solid dates to share with you guys.
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Next

Return to General Questions