It is currently September 21st, 2017, 10:47 am Advanced search

Pivos Wireless Adapter setup issues

Network questions about connecting, sharing and download with your AIOS HD Media Player.

Pivos Wireless Adapter setup issues

Postby cavalli » April 1st, 2015, 11:13 am

I just received my Aios unit bought from eBay, which came with 2 TB HD and a Pivos Wireless 802.11n USB Adapter. I've owned my own Aios box for a few years now and am relatively conversant with the issues I've encountered so far. My (upstairs) unit is wired and works fine. My new (to be downstairs) unit was configured to mirror my wired unit and I have it working fine as well. Both HD's are interchangeable and skinned it to look like I want it to look.

Then I tried configuring the new unit to be wireless. No such luck. I have a Linksys WRT54GL working with DD-WRT for my router. When I try to go to the "wireless setup"=ON function, it actually finds the SSID of my local router. I select it and it runs a test that ultimately fails. The wireless network is entirely open, so there should be no configuration to connect. I'm running R23 for Aios F/W. I've successfully gotten it on my wired network upstairs, so don't believe there to be a problem with the router/Aios. I just don't know how to get any more configuration or testing on the wireless side.

I powered off/on, hoping that would work. It didn't. In addition, it even brought me to a menu that said "configuration 1", "config 2" and 3. Clicking each didn't do anything. In the forum, I saw a post suggesting hitting the colored buttons, but that did nothing. Eventually, I reinstalled the R23 image and have foregone all my customizations, figuring that starting over would help. It didn't. Just repeated the above failure.

The wireless connection actually does reach my router. Looking at DD-WRT, I can see that the wireless client MAC address is trying to reach my router. Then it fails. I have to assume it's config related and that is why I'm posting. When the wired connection was originally set, it showed the right manually assigned wired IP address and a crazy IP address for the wireless . My local IP is set to 192.168.2.1 for the router. The Aios came up as .42 correctly. The router is configured for the wireless MAC to show up as .43. After the reinstall, the network tab shows no IP for the wireless now.

The red button on advanced wireless setup shows "Peer to Peer" and "WPS", but I think the default "Infrastructure" is the one I want. There doesn't seem to be any time of "manual" configuration for the wireless that was so easy to set on the wired.

Any advice on what I can try to make this work? I'm willing to reinstall a 3rd time, if necessary, but hope that this is something obvious / simple and I'm the problem. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that wireless distance is not the issue during this configuration phase. It's sitting right next to the router and the router mentioned that it had high signal strength while the Aios was running the wireless test. Downstairs, once configured, this might be an issue, but for setup purposes, wanted to minimize the problem variables.
cavalli
Curious

Re: Pivos Wireless Adapter setup issues

Postby aasoror » April 1st, 2015, 11:58 am

a. connect the adapter to your a PC and see if it can connect properly.
b. try setting security on your router (WPA2 Personal with a short password with no special characters).
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Postby cavalli » November 9th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Took me a while to get to this, but finally found the time. Short version, it's working fine. :)

Tested the adapter in a PC and it worked, so knew for a while that this was not the issue. Found another thread in which you said that one should reset to factory settings. This brought back "infrastructure" to the wireless advanced menu options. Created a new wireless entry, abandoning the one which didn't work. Configured it manually on my router to a static IP address and it is now working fine. Probably should have just reflashed the firmware to get rid of the junk wireless profile, but if it ain't broke...

Might do it when I add a wireless AP as the new connection for the downstairs AIOS unit. Just don't want to reconfig everything when everyone loves having it downstairs. I appreciate the network access to copy files on to the two units' hard drives instead of swapping out and exchanging the drives as needed. All's well that ends well. :)

Thanks for the help, aasoror!
cavalli
Curious

Postby aasoror » November 9th, 2015, 12:48 pm

cavalli » November 9th, 2015, 3:30 pm wrote:Took me a while to get to this, but finally found the time. Short version, it's working fine. :)

It usually better late than never :)
Thank for the update cavalli, enjoy your AIOS
aasoror
Pivos Employee

Return to Networking & Sharing